Sunday, April 13, 2008

BYE BYE PACI !!

So we did it, we have accomplished number 2 on my list of things to get done with Aspen before the baby comes. We said goodbye to her Pacifier. We did it last Monday so tomorrow will be our week mark! I was debating on how we should send it away and I actually took the idea from a friend who heard of this. We tied the pacifier onto helium balloons and let them go and all waved goodbye to it. Well it is kind of funny because I told her all morning what was going to happen so we went to the store and she got to pick out the balloons which she was very excited about and then we get home and tie the paci onto the balloons and go outside to say goodbye. There was only one problem when she let them go they dropped back down because I didn't buy enough balloons. Well she thought that was great and she ran and said "MY PACI". So then she is sucking on her Paci with balloons tied to it. Well we had to make another run to the store and bought some more balloons. Well this time it worked, she wasn't really willing but she did let go and then my heart started breaking. Once she let go she was trying to laugh and wave goodbye but then she realized it wasn't coming back. She was trying to fight back the tears to be a big girl but was really struggling. After we watched them fly away we went to the store and she got to pick out a new sippy cup. Aspen smiling right before we went to the store to get the balloons.This is what Aspen did for a little while, she just wanted those last few sucks. We finally talked her into taking it out and letting the balloons go. Aspen realizing there is no getting it back now! Trying to be a big girl but really is crushed inside. This was so hard for me to watch. And finally a smile after she picked her sippy cups!

Well I have to say it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, although it was a lot harder than it was with Kamden. The first night was the worse because she didn't know how to make her body relax to go to sleep so she just kept screaming our names and telling us to go get her paci in the sky. Each day has gotten better. She still brings it up but only to tell me she is a big girl now. So it was one bad week that is finally over. I really liked this idea of getting rid of the paci because she was the one that let it go and she has a good visual of how it left and understands that there is no possible way of getting it back. I really recommend this for any of you that have a very attached child to their pacifier and are needing to say goodbye to it. I am feeling pretty good that I have accomplished 2 out of 3 of my goals for her. I will let you all know how the potty training goes. Although she has already started training herself. It has been really nice. The only thing that has been kind of sad is my little baby girl is growing up.

14 comments:

O family said...

YAY ASPEN!!! Brielle, she is such a beautiful big girl! Congrats on getting 2 of your 3 tasks done. Good luck with the potty training.

O family said...

ok, leaving another comment. Aspen looks SO much like Quinn to me in the one picture with Brock holding her and her fingers in her mouth. It really is so hard to see your babies getting crushed, glad that you made the situation so fun and positive.

Anonymous said...

"Parting is such sweet sorrow"
Good thinking Brielle
Good giving Aspen!
Papaw

Paige Holley said...

That picture of her wiping her tears killed me! What a big girl. Congrats on the task...you inspire me to take Avery's away. Well, not yet but maybe soon:)

Lady said...

It's always a bittersweet thing - getting rid of those pacifiers that comfort and quite and yet ruin teeth. Glad she's sleeping better now! Good luck with the potty training.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet memory of giving up her pacifer. How sad she looks, it made me teary too. But I'm glad that you both are doing well a week later. Love, Mamaw

Anonymous said...

Way to go ASpen! What a sad story though, poor kid had to see her paci fly away. She is such a cute little girl, I love hearing stories about her and love all the funny things she says. I'm impressed you've got 2 out of the 3 down. I've got Emma sleeping in the pack and play for naps... :o)

So many blogs..too little time said...

YAY Aspen!! That was a cute idea, Man you still have a lot of snow:(

Abraham and Sara said...

Such a cute idea! I love the picture of the balloons tied to the paci while she is sucking on it! I will have to remember this when it is time for PJ to give up hers. I am not looking forward to this day!

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo glad the idea worked for you! This is why blogging is good huh? We can exchange great ideas. I was wondering what ya'll had decided and feel happy to know the hardest part is over. I cracked up at the few attempts before it actually flew away. I guess I should have mentioned enough balloons to keep on flying. :) So fun to see you blog! We love you guys.

Anonymous said...

good job Aspen...Grammy is proud of you for sharing.....love your new sippy cups!

Alycia said...

I will have to tell Tiff about this idea. Renee still has hers and she is 3 1/2. None of my kids would ever take them. I don't know if that was a blessing or a curse.

kennoncrew said...

so its a good thing none of my kids ever would touch a pacifier for more than two seconds!!! that is hilarious--but i am proud of both of you!

Amber said...

My son held on to his binky like it was a lifeline! We actually started out by only giving it to him during naps and when he was real fussy, but as time went on, he seemed to want it more (it went from a suckle need, to a want). My mom found the bye bye pacifier method, www.bye-bye-pacifier.com, printed it and suggested that we go with it. At first I was a bit mad at my mom, but I soon got over it. The method worked amazingly well. My son stopped sucking on it after 4 days! He proceeded to carry it around for another week, but never put it in his mouth. He then got tired of carrying it and simply lost interest. Mom was right, it worked, highly recommended!